Saturday, April 10, 2010

Will Grayson, Will Grayson - John Green and David Levithan


Hello friends. No time for anything formal (but it's not like anything else I ever posted was terribly formal). Just wanted to mention that I finished reading co-authored Will Grayson, Will Grayson. I liked it. Didn't love it.

Here's why: YA books don't follow traditional fiction writing rules. Such as: SHOW DON'T TELL. I had wondered if it was only weaker authors who filled their YA books with such expository info, but these gentleman are both critically acclaimed and loved by many, and yet, there was SO MUCH straight-up telling narrative.

Second reason: there just wasn't enough heart in this book as Green's and Levithan's solo works. I'm sure people will disagree with me (being people that worship John Green, mostly) but I honestly don't think two great authors equals great book. I don't think anyone will ever be able to top Nick and Norah (not even Cohn and Leviathan themselves. They're second co-written attempt, Naomi and Ely's No Kiss List something-or-other didn't even come close)

Also, people are RAVING about how brilliant Tiny Cooper is. And of course he's a fun character, but he's obviously set up to be a fun character: ginormous, very gay, football player, and all around exuberant guy? It's almost too obvious. And not one character seemed completely fleshed out for me. Many left me wanting more. (Maura! Give me more of that bitch!)

Over all, there were several good ideas and themes and plot devices in this book, but I think the co-written format of every other chapter screws up the focus that the meaty things aren't touched on as well as they should have been.

I suppose I'd give this 3 stars? Not sure how long the story will stick with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment